Sunday 26 November 2006

Le Petit Caveau

Got to be the best restaurant in Nyons. And beats anywhere I've eaten in London. So what did I have yesterday?

Aperitif served with olives, and nibbles of quails eggs, olive madeleines, and a small chilled soup of broccoli and cauliflower. Then an amuse-bouche of a "canneloni" of squid stuffed with boudin (white blood sausage - but made with the squid ink; sounds weird but was really good). As a starter I had the partridge stuffed with foie gras; I went for the veal as the main. And a dessert of citrus fruits - pink grapefruit sorbet, gingerbread, poached clementine ...

And to drink, an aperitif of cremant de die with apricot liqueur and cinammon; a dry white Vacqueras with the starter; and a glass of Domaine des Rieux Freres (Sainte Jalle) cabernet sauvignon. The red was really full on! The vineyard is about 15 kilometres from Le Colombier into the mountains. They do a good white as well as everyday "bag in the box" wines.

One of the things I really like about food here is that it is based on fresh seasonal food. Mind you, it helps to be adventurous and be prepared to try new things. And anyway, it's market research to recommend places for my clients to go and try for themselves.


4 comments:

Denise said...

yes, but it's the Domaine du Rieu Frais. (I live in Ste Jalle)

Clare said...

Thanks Dee - my slippy fingers! It's a great vineyard to visit - I always take visitors there.

Denise said...

Monsieur Liotaud died last week. The funeral was last Saturday. The end of an era.

Denise said...

sorry -got that the wrong way round. I should have said the funeral was Wednesday.