Tuesday 28 November 2006

Hexagram 37: Dwelling People

Elaine's stay last week had me looking through my bookshelves for her, as she'd just completed a course in hypnosis (I qualified in hypnotherapy and nlp a few years ago). And my books on the I Ching - the Oracle of Change - came back into focus after a few years of gathering dust.

So active in the pursuit of displacement activity, instead of writing my chapter, I thought I'd consult the Oracle with a question about le Colombier.

So what's the I Ching? A book I'd recommend is How to Use the I Ching by Stephen Karcher. As it says on the cover, "The ancient Chinese oracle, the I Ching, helps you work with the changes in your life. Its images and practical advice let you participate in change instead of being its victim. It acts like a wise old friend or helping spirit".

Stephen explains in the foreword: "The I Ching is one of the world's oldest and most profound divination systems, a powerful tool which can help you navigate the voyage of your life. It helps you to see the forces that are shaping difficult situations, and to understand the meaning of obstacles. It keeps you connected to the creative process of life. It brings out your helping spirit, the inner voice that helps you find your way."

First you create a question or a statement that you want to work with. Then using one of three methods (coins, sticks or stones) you follow a formula that brings you up one of the 64 Hexagrams, which will give you readings - or divinations - about your situation or question.

So as I'm here in Le Colombier, and would quite like some wise guidance on how things will work out, my questions was "How do I attract great people to Le Colombier?"

And my answer was Hexagram 37: Dwelling People.

"This is a group of people living and working together, a family or clan with ties of feeling between them. Care for your relationships with people, and the space you share with others. Profit and insight come through the woman and the yin. Accept, nourish, care for things. Thus warmth and clarity will spread throughout the dwelling and affect all people. Dwelling means staying inside the net of feelings and relationships. Use your words to connect with people. A woman's attitude can correct the inside; a man's attitude can correct the outside. Together they reflect the great way of heaven and earth. Clarify each person's position so they know who and what they are. In this way, you can set the whole world right."

As the I Ching is about change, additional insight can be drawn from the "transforming" lines. I had three.

The Six at Second - "release what you have to give without a direction. Locate yourself in the centre and feed the people. Divination: the way is open." This is explained as the place of the one who nourishes all the people in the dwelling, giving without imposing on others. Act like this, and the way will be open.

Nine at Third included a warning that this is a time for strict measures and discipline to put the house in order. If you let things go, you will lose the way.

And Six at Fourth shows that it is an affluent dwelling, the Great way is open. For an affluent dwelling is where the good flows for all. The way is certainly open. Let the flow of riches serve a real purpose.

What an amazingly matched response to my question!

And hold on the language of "flow" and discipline to put the house in order. I've just flowed a gin and tonic into a glass after an afternoon with the plumbers. More to follow on that later ...

Sante!








No comments: