Tuesday 28 November 2006

Just in Time, or Be Prepared?

Those who know me know that I'm a Just in Time kind of gal - the fact that I'm busy blogging instead of getting down to writing a 6000 word chapter for a book that has a deadline of this Thursday points to this.

But somehow I have learnt that I can't get away with last minute laissez faire habits here at Le Colombier.

For example. You've been basking in the sunshine in late September, and wham, bang, overnight the temperatures plummet to below freezing and before you know it an outside valve has sheered in half and you've an expensive crisis on your hands. Crisis because water is spraying out from the inlet to the mains water, you've got a house full of people and you have to turn off the mains water. So you've got to get the plumbers in - and fast.

Expensive - because you've got to get the plumbers in - and fast.

(The fact that nobody had warned you that you need to make sure that exposed taps are drained and insulation is in place from early September is neither here nor there - any fool knows that, it goes without saying).

Returning to the house after a 9 day house rental by a group of 17 German cyclists and opening the dishwasher, it was obvious that German efficiency in dishwasher stacking meant that they had managed to get all their breakfast stuff in, and all washed beautifully. But I don't do efficient dishwasher stacking - and with the knowledge of the Christmas house party fast approaching, a second dishwasher would help. (Plus the old one is temperamental at the best of times).

With great forethought, during the restauration of the house and fitting out the kitchen, we'd pre-planned an area and the plumbing for a second installation.

In a "Just in Time" frame of mind I'd probably have waited till my return here from London on the 17th December to go and order one. In fact, Just in Time shopping is the norm not the exception here. Local, family-owned shops mean goods are held in stock, the white van is parked round the back, and I've had beds and freezers etc delivered on the day of ordering.

But I've learnt! And my developing "Be Prepared" personna called me to action.

On Friday I got Seb (my local Handy Andy but with soul, philosophy, an eye for what will work, and French artistic cool) to move the old dishwasher into the never-before used place. Of course the work surface was 2 mm too low, so it involved the inevitable chiselling out of plaster etc etc to get it to fit. A minor detail - and I was expecting it.

Later that afternoon I filled aforesaid old dishwasher with the accumulated crockery, flicked the switch to on, and went off to do something else. (There was a lot of accumulated washing up as I was in full "Be Prepared" mode and cooking cakes for the invading hordes.)

I came back to find a mini-flood where a cap on the out-flow pipes hadn't been glued in place and so was "blowing" geyser like as the water was pumping out. So a wet floor, and a dishwasher of dirty washing up. But thankfully this was still a month before Christmas.

I ordered the new dishwasher Saturday for delivery on Tuesday morning (ie today). Yesterday I got Seb to glue the aforesaid cap in place, let it dry, flicked the switch, watched to make sure the initial pumping was flood-free, and went off to do some work.

Mistake! I came down 15 mins before going out to dinner to find the kitchen floor completely awash. Another join lower down had obviously not been glued in place either.

So the plumbers are coming this afternoon. And I get to practise my French - and my patience.

And the new machine hasn't arrived yet either ... its delivery has been delayed until this afternoon. At least the floor has more or less dried out.


No comments: