Wednesday 22 April 2009

Happy in Provence

A blog Happy faces, Happy places by Matthew Taylor reminded me of a conversation with Josef Gehrmann from Muenster - he and his family were house guests here at Le Colombier this easter.

On the dining room wall I have a picture of Van Gogh's The Potato Eaters. It's a dark and sombre picture - and I just liked the contrast with my environment here in Provence.

It's a reminder that I'm here, not there.

It was Josef who pointed out how much the darkness - and depression - of this Van Gogh painting contrasts with the brighness of, for example, his famous sunflowers, painted, of course, in the light of Provence.



The light of Provence is almost a cliche - it is amazing, and undescribable. But the effect it has on your emotions - and your happiness - is very real.

No comments: